March’s Top 50 Pharmaceutical Companies mentioned by HCPs on Twitter
|Mar||Feb||Company||Total Mentions||Account mentions||Account retweets||Number of Twitter
|5||1||Johnson & Johnson*||589||306||134||20|
|16||7||Merck & co||76||53||7||2|
|50||50||Mitsubishi tanabe pharma||0||0||0||0|
In March 2020, CREATION Pinpoint® identified 8,087 healthcare professional (HCP) authored tweets about COVID-19 from 5,110 individual HCPs mentioning a top-50 pharmaceutical company (according to revenue). This is an increase in total HCP mentions of pharmaceutical companies compared to previous months, which included all mentions of a top-50 pharma company on Twitter.
Over half of all COVID-19 specific HCP mentions in top 50 pharmaceutical companies in March were in relation to diagnosis and testing of COVID-19.
The five pharmaceutical companies that were mentioned the most by HCPs relating to COVID-19 on Twitter in March 2020 were Gilead, Roche, Abbott, Biogen and Johnson and Johnson (J&J).
Mentions of Gilead had nearly quadrupled since February as HCPs discussed their potential COVID-19 treatment, remdesivir, many asking for compassionate use.
Both Roche and Abbott mentions were driven by FDA approvals of their COVID-19 tests, with volume of posts spiking at these announcements.
The conversation online has increased since the beginning of 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. CREATION.co continues to track this online discussion and recently ran two webinars sharing advice for health communicators in government, NGOs and pharmaceutical companies during the pandemic:
- Coronavirus Digital Communications Strategies for NGOs, governments and health policy.
- Coronavirus Digital Communication Strategies for pharma.
READ LAST MONTH’S TOP 50 PHARMA TRACKER:
- In March 2020, CREATION Pinpoint® identified 8,087 healthcare professional (HCP) authored tweets about COVID-19 from 5,110 individual HCPs mentioning a top-50 pharmaceutical company (according to revenue).
- Data for this research was analysed from the online Twitter conversations of HCPs in relation to COVID-19 in all languages mentioning a Top 50 pharmaceutical company between March 1st and March 31st 2020.
- Unless otherwise specified, mentions of a company are not limited to its Twitter account(s).
- In some cases, a tweet may mention more than one company account (eg. @abbottnews and @abbottglobal) – this only counts as one Company Mention but two Account Mentions.
- The Number of Twitter Accounts Mentioned only include those accounts mentioned by HCPs.
- * Johnson & Johnson was included as a whole, encompassing its pharmaceutical subsidiary, Janssen.
- ** Whilst included in the Top 50 Pharma list according to revenue from 2019, Shire has since been acquired by Takeda and no longer holds a Twitter account.